These are the top stories making the front pages of major newspapers from across Southeast Asia today.
Get up to speed with what’s happening in the fastest growing region in the world.
SCDF ragging incident death: 2 commanders of fire station contest charges
Two Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers allegedly involved in a ragging incident which left a full-time national serviceman dead are contesting the charges against them. In the incident on 13 May last year, 22-year-old Corporal Kok Yuen Chin drowned when he was thrown into a pump well at Tuas View Fire Station during a celebration to mark the completion of his national service. - The Straits Times
Malaysia to investigate water pollution allegations after deaths in Kelantan
Malaysia Deputy Prime Minister Dr Wan Azizah Wan Ismail said on Sunday the government is investigating allegations of water pollution after several Orang Asli deaths were reported in the state of Kelantan. Orang Asli refers to indigenous people of peninsular Malaysia. 14 people have died in the past month, according to reports, of which two have been confirmed to be from pneumonia. - Channel News Asia
Dems to meet over post claim
All eyes are on the Democrat Party on Monday with a meeting planned which could make or break its coalition deal with the Palang Pracharath Party (PPRP), in the wake of reports the PPRP wants to reclaim a number of key seats in the cabinet that it had promised to its coalition partners. The meeting will see the Democrat Party's strategists discuss who among the party's ranks are suited to take up ministerial posts in the next government. - Bangkok Post
LRT Jakarta starts free public trial on Tuesday
City-owned transportation company PT LRT Jakarta is set to open a free public trial run for the LRT starting on Tuesday. Interested passengers must first register through LRT Jakarta’s official website, where they will be required to fill in their personal information and choose a date to book a seat. The Jakarta administration has yet to set a date for LRT Jakarta’s commercial operation. - The Jakarta Post
Duterte open to purchase US weapons again
President Rodrigo Duterte had a change of heart about not buying defense equipment from the United States. Speaking in a television interview in Davao City on Saturday, the President said he would reconsider and buy certain types of US military hardware because of a “new policy” of the United States and his fondness for US President Donald Trump. - The Philippine Daily Inquirer